Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mille Collines: Part Deux

So here we are, my last Sunday in Rwanda falling on the last Sunday of the month.  Besides being a special occasion for me (I guess?), the last Sunday of the month is also umuganda for Seventh Day Adventists... and that’s really all I have to say about that.  When I saw a large group of people with shovels and various other tools (basically the same ones we used yesterday), I asked a guy on the bus into town what was going on, and it would appear there’s actually a decently large population of Adventists here.  Suppose that’s your trivia for the day.

Anyway, the group went to Hotel des Mille Collines this morning for an all day buffet poolside.  For 10,000 RWF ($16.67 USD), you get a decently large buffet (with waffles, pasta, hummus, guacamole, brochettes, burgers, etc.) and access to their pool.  With the buffet advertised to run from 10:00 – 4:00, we had the hope that we could cover all of our meals for the day while hanging out by the only pool I’ve seen in Rwanda.  Of course, the buffet ended up running from 12:15 – 3:00 (“Rwandan time” strikes again)... and they didn’t care to do a last call on the food... but it was still a good time, and I feel like I got my fill on the first couple go rounds.  Moreover, they took Visa, which was particularly nice given my low cash reserve (I’m at the point where I’m pretty sure I have enough to get by, enough so that I don’t want to take out anymore money).  So, that was my day.  I ate food and swam in a pool that I’m convinced is so cold they must actually refrigerate it (probably the only pool I’ve been in where it’s warmer to get out and drip dry). 

Other than Mille Collines, we also had the trip back, which seems to always be an adventure.  A couple days ago we tried coming back around what I assume must be when everyone got off work, and there was a massive line waiting for us, causing us to eventually bail and grab a taxi (usually run from $8-10 USD).  Today we tried our luck at a bus stop closer to our location but away from the usual center of the spokes, and it turned out our bus didn’t stop there.  So, after walking back in the opposite direction, we finally got on our bus.  The good news is that, when the bus finally arrived at the last stop near the bottom of our hill, a neighbor who had seen us at umuganda yesterday stopped us in his pickup truck and offered to take us up the hill (30 minutes turned into 5). It was nice and appreciated.  On the way he told us about more upcoming construction projects, including a “university of tourism” and street-paving (looks like people won’t be washing off their tans as much next year).

As for tonight, we had some euchre games going, and I’ve been getting by munching on my staple snack here: Frosties.

-Scott

For those wanting to avoid the personal-bubble-busting of the bus system or cost of the taxi system (which essentially amounts to people in unmarked cars calling themselves taxi drivers), there are moto-taxis.  These things generally cost around $1 USD to get home, and they are absolutely everywhere... in hordes.  The catch is that they drive like maniacs, bobbing and weaving through traffic which is already iffy to begin with (I've hardly seen any traffic lights, although I have seen a couple).  Moreover, from what I've heard, 70% of traffic accidents involve moto-taxis, and the results aren't pretty.  You'll looking at neurological damage and shattered bones.  But, they're always there if you're willing to roll the dice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment