Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fair Week

It has been a crazy week! I worked around 15 hours/day this week.  While the check might be helpful in the long run, my goal for this weekend involves sleep. Lots of it.  The week included getting to school by 7:30ish (at the latest), working until 4 at school, then work at the fair until 10 or 11pm.

For the past 5 years, I've been the marketing director of our local fair. Here, I design their brochures, publications, and website.  In addition, I help out wherever needed, interact with our sponsors, and dabble in various secretarial duties. It's a nice job for the summer and has very flexible hours, so it was perfect over the past summer for finding a teaching job and planning a wedding. I got pretty lucky with the job, as I didn't go to school or have any training whatsoever in website design or marketing (thank goodness for high school business partner connections).

Anyway, the fair could be said to be a "big deal." Our school even gives the students a day off for "fair day," although we teachers had professional development.  Animals and 4-H crafts tend to dominate the week for students.  I had two students gone for the entire week, and a few that were off and on.  It makes this week difficult from a teaching perspective... several students are missing an entire week's worth of learning, while the students that are there are too tired from a late night at the fair with excessive amounts of sugar.

This whole post was just so I could post this Ferris Wheel picture. The Ride Company is using a new "Century Wheel" with LED lights that are pretty snazzy.  When it finally gets moving, you get pictures like these (too bad the Pirate Ship was going at the same time).
signature

1 comment:

  1. Okay that picture is awesome/makes me mildly sick, haha! Hey I was going to try to follow your blog, but either it's not on your sidebar or it's not showing up for me....

    ReplyDelete